All has fallen silent in my parent’s farmhouse in Kansas. The babies are sleeping after a full day of entertaining grandparents, eating nutrient-rich foods, riding in tractors, playing with plastic and fuzzy toys, and splashing in bathtubs full of water clean enough to drink. One day looks so different from the next. There is no such thing as normalcy. Somehow this healthy routine feels just as foreign as days in Haiti looking for fresh water, hunting down cans of milk and formula, distributing supplies to communities and sleeping outside.
It has been one week since we stepped off the plane into the arms of stability. Friends and family greeted us as we walked in a sleep-deprived daze off the tarmac after our flight touched down in Denver. As their arms wrapped around us, tears fell and we gave in to their protection.
We wrapped ourselves in their warm clothes, fed ourselves with the food they shared, slept in their beds, bathed in their showers, warmed next to their fireplaces, played and visited in their living rooms. Our children were outfitted from head to toe in clothes, shoes, car seats and toys by the generosity of many.
In the last week we have reunited with a whirlwind of family and friends. There are too many people to thank, an overwhelming array of generosity spilled upon us, staggering displays of love and support. In the midst of it all, our little family tries to fabricate something of a routine. We’ve waded through sniffles and diarrhea while adjusting to a drastic change of temperature and the shocking availability of convenience.
We still live completely in the moment, unsure of a future as far ahead as a week and hesitant to look back at the past in our wake. It is easier to focus on the cries of our hungry child or catching up on the life of a long-missed friend than to let thoughts waver out of the here-and-now.
If we stay in the present, stay in “survival mode” we can better ignore our transient lifestyle, ignore the fact we continue to live out of a suitcase, sleeping our children in one house after another, introducing them to a new sea of faces everyday. We can ignore that we live completely on the generosity of countless friends and relatives who open their homes, their pantries, their closets to us, wrapping us in the security of their love. We can ignore the guilt that we’ve abandoned our friends and partners in their greatest hour of need, the anxt that comes from not being busy in the work we have done for the last year and a half, the restlessness of having to wait for official documents and a restructured plan to get back to the business at hand in Haiti. So we stay in the present.
Staying in the present, we don’t stop to contemplate how different this world looks from the one we just left. Manicured lawns, lights glowing from every window in 2-story houses, fresh and drinkable water gushing from every tap, neat rows of traffic pushing the speed limit over the highways and overpasses, neatly stacked fresh produce of every color and flavor piled in sparkling grocery stores bragging a dozen varieties of each choice of food or cleaning product, sterile skyscraper hospitals where the norm is running a dizzying array of exams to nail down the most precise diagnosis.
Patrick and I have both sworn we’ve felt aftershocks—in Denver. While riding with a friend to a pharmacy, my heart suddenly started racing and breath became short while passing a construction site and its pile of rock. Watching CNN brings anger at the slant being reported, frustration at the individuals picked to be showcased, and endless tears as we see the faces representing the people we love. Quickly channels are changed to something of no consequence.
We’ve skirted away from quiet. With quiet brings the realization of where we are and where we aren’t. With quiet comes the flashbacks to scenes of places changed forever, faces lost under the rubble and faces who survived and are left to rebuild their lives.
I find myself trying to remember each face, each mannerism, each talent of friends lost to the earthquake. The number of funerals to attend is too countless to conceive, so there will be none. So instead we go through the roll-call of students we will no longer teach, community members who will no longer lead, patients we will no longer treat, children who will no longer grow, mourning not only their lives but the impact that they were sure to make on their communities, mourning the talents that fall useless to the days ahead.
I mourn Madam Pastor who left 2 children and a high-energy husband behind. She helped augment my class lectures by her own experiences, brought children in for evaluation from her community in City Solei, asked advice on the medicines she had at her disposal for which to treat others.
I mourn Darlene who was the first medical student to take me by the hand and offer me friendship. With a smile she was the first to welcome me in a time when I felt completely out-of-place a year ago. While sure I was failing as an English-speaking teacher barely functioning with a teen-aged translator and a medical curriculum, she took me by the hand at the CONASPEH congress and insisted that I march with her and her classmates during our demonstration march through the streets of Port-au-Prince. It was that day that I found out for the first time that my students actually, beyond reason, liked me. Accepted me. And I’ll never forget that day. That hand-holding. That friend.
I mourn Beatrice and her smart sass from the back row, always having the right answers, always impatient for the rest of the class to catch up with comprehension. I remember our day driving into her neighborhood to treat a few people in her community she had concerns about. Outside of class, she was always begging me for a pill to make her fat, laughing when I called that magic pill “more food.”
I mourn Miss Altena and all the meetings we had planned, all the new ideas we’d shared and her endless kindness. On the day of the earthquake, hours before her death, she had walked into my clinic, given me a hug and welcomed me back from holiday break.
So many faces. I struggle to remember each one because there won’t be a service with flowers, eulogies, and elaborate burials. The loss is too large. The mass graves too full.
From this overstuffed couch in Kansas, I remember the faces of people who are still living, now with more challenges than ever. Miguelson was to start his first semester in medical school. Now he is a community organizer, trying to gather funds to feed his neighbors as they gather together forming security, shelter, and combining resources to survive. Who knows when he’ll be able to go to school, much less find work. Miss Joly was injured as she escaped the falling CONASPEH school. Now she alone is nurse to her displaced community without any supplies to aid her efforts. So many I worked with are now taking shelter with family in the country, awaiting the rebuilding of schools and clinics so they may return to work once again. As CNN and the world focuses on the immediate needs of food, water and medicine, I ache for the bigger needs of education, jobs and infrastructure that are ultimately needed to bring about true, healthy sustainability of life.
After a week in Denver, we now find ourselves in my parent’s farmhouse in Kansas, miles away from the nearest neighbor. Here the lights of the city are too far away to pollute the night sky. Quiet overtakes if we forget to speak. Here we will be forced to remember, to cry, to heal.
We’ll have to push aside the guilt of having the luxury of removing ourselves from the rubble and struggle to sit in the land of plenty and convenience, creating space for healing. We removed ourselves to take care of our family. We did so out of necessity. We do so in order to better serve in days ahead.
So we’ll face the quiet, drudge up the images, remember the faces, cry the tears, and question the heavens. We’ll humble ourselves to be the recipients of good-will and charity. We’ll heal ourselves and our family.
And then we’ll organize. Plan. Rebuild. Join forces. Get to work. Because the longer we are away, the harder our hearts pull us back.

Thank you for sharing your experiences through this blog. I pray that you will be able to show yourselves the same grace that God has shown you and that you have shown so many through your ministry.
ReplyDeleteKim and Patrick,
ReplyDeleteThank you - for your witness, your perspective, your strength, your service, your words. Thank you for being an antidote for the U.S. news coverage which tends to expect the worst and therefore sees and reports the worst.
Such beauty and pain in your words. I hope and pray that you find solace and peace of mind while basking in the love-warmth of family. -Megan Navis
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to Kansas and thank you so much for sharing this painful journey with us! I have been lifting your family up in my prayers and know that the peace of God and the knowledge that He will guide you in the days ahead is what gets you through. Hugs those little ones and please allow yourself to grieve.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written. May HIS beauty, grace, and mercy overshadow you thru the immediate future, and guide you into your future. Prayers and The Peace of The LORD to y'all. Sherri in GA
ReplyDeleteI've rejoiced, and cried, and mourned with you as you took us through the earthquake days, your departure from Haiti and your return to us here in the US. It's so good to "hear" your "voice" after this past week of silence. Thinking of you always, and wishing you all the faith, strength and healing you could possibly need. With love, Pedge
ReplyDeleteYou are not alone. We grieve with you, not for individuals, but for potential lost. But we also hope with you for a better stronger future for your children, your friends, your ministry. We have come to love the Haitian people through your eyes and will accompany them and you through the journey back.
ReplyDeleteThank you for another beautiful post so that we can live through this immense tragedy with you. Please know that Union Avenue members keep you in heart and soul and yearn for some peace and rest in your lives. You truly need that before you can be back at work with the people you have come to love and with whom you have given the last couple of years of your life.
ReplyDeleteFondly, Suzanne
Thank you for sharing your story. It is hard to comprehend your experience and what things are like now in Haiti, but reading your words makes it more real...brings it home. A member of my congregation has started an organization called "Rebuild Haiti" to address the long-term concerns you mentioned. So know that others share your concern and are working toward the long-term sustainability of Haiti! Thank you again, and please keep writing!
ReplyDeleteKenbe fem and look forward to going home.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post. You really do help us get a feel for what Haiti is going through. As I read your words, I cry a litte, sigh a little, and rejoyce a lot, especially at the grace I read in your words.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much,
Mary Ann
God has given you such wonderful words to paint the perfect pictures for us here that feel that they can't do enough to help. God has given you this time to get yourselves togehter and take care of your family at the moment. He has bigger plans ahead for you! So feel no guilt but rejoice in this time! He needs your minds and hearts to be ready for your future adventures! You are his soldiers, he needs you to be prepared and ready for the fights ahead! We are so proud of you! Sleep and eat well Soldiers!! Chelli
ReplyDeleteWe hear you.
ReplyDeleteAnd we deeply appreciate deeply your strength and vulnerability and we are feeling for you too.
we continue to hold you in our love and prayers. take care of yourselves.
ReplyDeleteanne and nancy
It sounds as if you're suffering culture shock of deep magnitude, returning not only from the "third world" but also from a massive earthquake. The US and its incredible abundance of food, water, and space seems like a foreign idea, wrong headed too. But in this land of plenty you will find the strength to resume your lives, whatever God has in store for you. May His grace and mercy guide you through the process of grief and restoration. May you find peace for your souls as you explore your faith again. May the name of Jesus bring you healing from your heartache.
ReplyDeleteI am so very moved by your story. You are an amazing writer and tell your tale that just rips to the soul of anyone reading. God bless you and your family.
ReplyDeleteyou are an incredibly gifted writer. thank you for your service to our Lord. praying for you and your family right now.
ReplyDeleteI have been amazed at the real stories you have brought so many through your blog. I have been praying for you and your family and pray peace and love to you as you have so much to process. Thanks for sharing the "real" story with us. I have cried tears along with you and other friends in our area who have close ties to Haiti. May God grant you peace, wisdom, and grace as you work through the past few weeks. Love to you in Christ!
ReplyDeleteMelissa Brown
As a Disciples pastor of a congregation so far away, I can't thank you enough for your faithful and poignant communication! Your words, photos, and prayers have introduced us to a part of the Body we never knew, and enabled us to worship and pray with and for you and our brothers and sisters in Haiti. Please, please, keep teaching and reminding us of our covenant and connection with the people and places you have been blessed to know and serve. If you fall silent, our prayers will also dissipate. God be with you.
ReplyDeleteRev. Colleen Carroll, Missouri
Kim and Patrick,
ReplyDeleteThis is Ned. I'm so proud of you both. I called up to St. A's just after the quake and heard that you were alive. I am so glad that you are back safe and with family. Kathleen and I have been keeping up with the blog and keeping you all in our prayers. Please contact me when you can at nednixon@gmail.com.
Ned
You are an incredible writer! I found your blog through an article in the KC Star and have gone back and read the whole thing. You should really write a book! So glad to see your post today and learn how you are doing. The evacuation entry waws especially interesting. Praying for you and your family. Having grown up on a farm in another state I can feel the healing nature of the quiet.
ReplyDeleteA follower in Olathe, Linda
How good it was to open this page yesterday, and find your wonderfully written, detailed report of your first week back in the US, including your reminiscences of those lost and still surviving. We look forward to seeing you all when you're back in Denver and ready. Meanwhile you're in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI know Cnn and the news are not always correct in there reports or at least giving us the full picture- as I read your blog I thought about that and said to myself
ReplyDeleteIts horrible they do not tell the story like it is but then something in side me said- but if they do not show how terrible it is- do the people send as much money food and supplies as they do-
Even though the reporting is not 100 percent correct- maybe it will bring in much needed help- with CNN and other news stories- this does not get out in the timely fashion and money might not have been raised as quickly as it was-
I wish the best for all involved- I pray one day fresh water will be had by all- I pray that person look at each other like brothers and sisters and no hatred will exist but until it happen all we can do is be positive and be thankful for what we are getting and what are others are giving
I found you through a link from the Livesay's blog. I told them and tell you, please read Honorably Wounded: Stress among Christian Workers by Marjory Foyle. It looks like there is a new edition just out. We were in Mozambique for 6 years during the civil war in the 1980s and experienced a lot of the same kind of survivor guilt you are feeling right now. I went to a conference in Kenya and ended up in a small group with Dr. Foyle. For some reason everyone looked at me to be the first to share on the question we were to discuss, and I promptly burst into tears. She is a missionary and a psychiatrist and a big help.
ReplyDeleteI pray you are blessed with all that you need so you can press on wherever called to serve. I am hoping to help, side by side, or wherever God makes provisions. If there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me. You and your family, as well as the nation of Haiti, are constantly in my prayers. God Bless you all.
ReplyDeleteSorry for you pain. Culture shock is bad enough, add on acute stress reaction symptoms and it has to be agonizing. An article on blog may help you understand your symptoms. I will be working on a coping with acute stress article as well. The explaining symptoms article is here: http://peacebringer7.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/understanding-acute-stress-reaction/
ReplyDeletehople you find it helpful. Any questions feel free to ask.
We've been getting short reports from our Disciples church in Hays, KS from you, but I got the link to your blog from Heartline Ministries. THANK YOU so much for bringing to light what we so desperately have needed to hear. It sounds like you have lost beautiful people and a dear home. I am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Heather Maiorano
Hays, KS
Kim,
ReplyDeleteMy wife and I have been following your journey here. It has been amazing and I am sure it will continue to be moving forward. Everyone at church has been praying for you and everyone of Haiti. Glad to have an old neighbor back close by.
Dear Kim and Patrick,
ReplyDeleteThis blog continues to inspire me and touches my heart like no other account of the disaster. Your ability to share your story and that of the Haitian people with such tenderness and love and vulnerability makes it even more powerful. Your lives are a beautiful prayer. So my friends; rest, remember and heal and bask in the love of family and friends. Your witness is doing the work that the Creator intended. The world has become a much smaller place, you have stirred compassion and the sense of our connectedness as children of God, has never been more clear.
Peace,
Connie Immel Ray
Just started reading your blog after one of my prayer partners brought your names to our circle yesterday. We will continue to follow your story and pray! "Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow..."
ReplyDeletedale
Hagerstown,MD
Thanks for sharing so openly. I appreciate your honesty. May you get the rest that you need in Kansas. The Lord will bring you back to Haiti when He is ready, and you will rejuvinate the effort there. My prayers are with you all
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing your hearts out. Our family has been praying for you and will keep praying. Your love for Haiti has moved me profoundly - like a song I've never heard, but I sing each word anyway. Keep stirring the waters, there will be miracles.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Mary
Kim, again you have such a way of drawing me in to your life. You've been through and seen more than anyone should, but in His infinite wisdom, God gave you a heart for the people of Haiti; He knew who to trust them to! Now heal and refresh and cry, and know that the hugest hugs of all come from your family in Texas!
ReplyDeleteDear Bentrotts,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for all the friends you've lost. I pray you find peace during this trying time. Know that many people mourn with you.
Kim, I hope you are aware that your blog is a gift to its readers and to Haiti. You are spreading truth, awareness and love here. Your words help me to see Haiti for what it is. They create a space where I can mourn and be hopeful, and that motivates me to help. What you are doing right now, caring for your family and sharing your experience in such an honest and lucid manner, that is a ministry in itself.
I'm sure you realize the guilt feelings are normal. Let them come, and let them go. Take time to heal. Allow God to show you the next steps in God's time. My prayers are with you all.
Ingrid A.
Just popping in to let you know that I am still praying for you- praying that this quiet time is healing, bonding, and creating such love in your new family!
ReplyDeleteSo good to catch up on your blog. Thanks so much for posting. Amazing stories! I am so glad you are letting yourselves be held and healed by all those who love you. We hold you both in our hearts and little Solomon and beautiful Valancia. I pray for Haiti everyday. Spoke to Frenaud last Sunday just before church. He was at his father's church. They just moved the benches outside! I am jealous of those who are there helping now, but know there will be plenty of time for us to return in the months ahead. God bless!
ReplyDeleteThank You for sharing your life with us. I am moved by your story. God Bless you, your little ones, and the people of Haiti. I am a nurse practitioner in Denver who grew up in Wheatland, IA. My parents told me about your blog.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your story with us. It is a gift. You are serving both your readers and the people of Hati. Every time I hear some ignorant remark based on our terrible news coverage, I can counter with, 'I've been reading the blog of a doctor who is actually there and she says . . . '
ReplyDeleteI heard about your blog via our associate pastor, who I think is a friend of a friend of yours. Thank you so much for the gift of your beautiful writing. You brought me into your life and the lives of the people of Haiti more than any newcast possibly could. I hope you realize how important your message is and how much impact it can have. My thoughts are with you and your family and your friends and colleagues in Haiti. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy and relieved to know you are all safe and sound! I'm so proud of your courage and strength. Love you, Tane
ReplyDeleteKim and Patrick, I love that people continue to reach out to you through this forum and understand you need their support as much now as you did in Haiti.
ReplyDeleteAs for feeling guilty about depending solely on others right now, I get the message, "We learn to be better givers by receiving." I have experienced that myself and believe it to be true. Relax into it, knowing you are still doing your work.
St. Louis, MO
I will be sharing much from this blog with my congregation this Sunday. Bless you and yours.
ReplyDeleteKim and Patrick: I want you to know that I shared excerpts from your blog this morning at my rural Disciples church here in MO. I am relating this both to your work in Global Ministries and our Easter offering and to the immediate needs for Week of Compassion funds. People were in tears as I read of the loss of your students, the church service you attended up the mountain and the babies in the orphanages. Please know that your writing skills have moved hearts.
ReplyDeleteBlesings, Fran
God placed you on my heart today- so I wanted to stop by and let you know that I continue to pray for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Love you, Tana Trost
ReplyDeleteKim & Patrick: its been so long since ive communicated with you. As soon as i heard about the earthquake i immediately began to pray for you. As i recently have gotten reconnected to the internet I have become reacquainted with your beautifully written blogs. I am so relieved to hear that you were all safe....physically. i cannot begin to imagine the mental aftermath you are experiencing. i am constantly praising Him as i read what you have survived. As always, you are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteLauren Paytes
Former missionary liaison
First Christian Church of Venice
rufajo1102@hotmail.com
Kim and Patrick,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Lynn and I came down with the RCC group in October. Please e-mail me so I can talk to you about a project, for when you return to Haiti.
I just realized I didn't give your my address. It's lbrown720@gmail.com Lynn
ReplyDeleteJust want you to know that I think of you daily. I'm sure you are facing some adjustments with all of the changes in life. Your family as well as your friends in Haiti are still in my thoughts and prayers. - heidi
ReplyDeleteI am holding you guys in my heart and prayers for wisdom and peace as you hope and as you heal.
ReplyDelete