Thursday, January 14, 2010

Processing

*leaving home.

I write from the safety of a small, quaint hotel in the mountain town of Kenskoff. The air is cool and smells of pine. Solomon is drinking a bottle of milk and watching Curious George. Patrick is out getting word from people in the community, trying to locate supplies and find a more permanent/transitional place for us to stay. We lent our car to a friend (Veniel, guest house manager) to go retrieve other people stuck in the city without a place to stay.

I feel the need to put the events of the last 2 days in writing, brief and unemotional, to help process as we find time to momentarily rest.

Tuesday started like any other. Coffee in the morning, a clinic with what has become the normal list of complaints among my patients. Our group from Tennessee was taken by Patrick to visit some schools in City Solei and eat at one of our favorite haitian restaurants. They were kind enough to bring me back a take-out box. It was huge. I shared it with the janitor who lives behind the school and never has enough to eat. It would be my last meal in 36 hours. It was to be his last.

I had my first class after the holiday break with my second year nursing students. We talked about labor and delivery. It was a great class. I had brought in my computer and internet modem, so was able to show them some great visuals of the birthing process. We covered a lot of information. The students were stimulated and asking a million appropriate questions. It was a great day. Patrick at the same time was teaching the first year students English and they were laughing out loud at his antics. We left CONASPEH at 4pm with a couple of the staff who have class near our home. We joked and teased each other all the way to Delmas. I remember laughing so hard.

Solomon had just gotten up from a nap. Silvia had done laundry and it was hanging on the line. Patrick had just changed to go to the gym. I was standing on the balcony with Sylvia, Solomon and Patrick talking when we heard a groaning. Then the building started to tremble. My equilibrium told me that we were weaving. My first thought was that our landlord's truck was rumbling or exploding under the balcony, then that our building was collapsing. "Earthquake" never crossed my mind. We all clung to each other and huddled under a door jamn as our apartment pitched, shook and moaned. We watched the neighbors balcony seemingly rise up towards us. Anticipating. Waiting. Watching. Holding. Not breathing. Silvia immediately started praying out loud fervently. When the shaking stopped, all fell quiet in the house, but screams were heard on the street. I looked out to see our landlord, Amos, stumbling into the road, his face white with dust. We called out to him. I still didn't know if people were screaming over OUR house collapsing of if it was something bigger. We opened the door and called out. The stairway was blocked in rubble, but the neighbors on the second floor called back to us and said they were ok. Their apartment had held too. We escaped down one flight of stairs to their apartment. Everything in their apartment lay broken on the floor. The woman was crying in fear, but no one was hurt. We exited from their back balcony that used to be a story up, but now was inches off the ground. We all crawled over crumbling concrete through a hole, helping each other down through hand-holding. Sylvia was frantic, praying out loud that the world was ending. All I wanted was to get away from what looked like an immanent complete collapse. Careful, purposeful movement. Focus.
*from 3 stories to 2

We made it safely to the street and suddenly it was apparent that we were one of many. People streamed out of buildings, bloodied, crying out for their children, their friends, their neighbors. It wasn't just our house. It was everywhere. People I have only waved to or shared cordial pleasantries with were hugging me, grateful for a face. When Moulout--the boy that helps us in our house--showed up after running from his school, huge relief. The first floor of our building had entirely collapsed and no one was pinned or killed underneath. Miraculous. Even waa-waa the dog survived.

Our friends from CONASPEH came soon after. Their school had held sturdy, but on their dash out, they had seen such devastation. "Haiti has never had an earthquake." said my friend. Earthquake. We hugged grateful to see more faces ok and reeling from what we had just experienced, but their eyes were full of tears over worry about their family and friends across town. For all of us, it was the first time we'd felt the earth tremble under our feet. Disconcerting. Disorientating. Disturbing. I quickly went about looking at our injured neighbors, HATING that I had just unloaded all the medical supplies donated by our visiting group into CONASPEH the day before. I didn't have as much as a bandaid. No tylenol. Nothing. I examined people, tried to reassure. Several needed stitches, others needed x-rays and casting. I wanted people to stop calling me Doctor. I had no tools, no medicines, no tricks up my sleeve. Our car was undamaged amazingly since we had fortuitously parked it beside a wall instead of inside our house's gate. I loaded up the injured from our neighborhood with plans to take them to the hospital. Patrick took Solomon to Walls International guest house to check on our visitors that were staying there.
*stopped traffic

There is no way to accurately describe the streets of Port-au-Prince as I made my way to the hospital. People were streaming from homes, down sidewalks, flooding streets. The religious were praying out loud, giving thanks to God. Others were evangelizing, predicting this the beginning of the end of the world. Many were wailing, crying, desperately searching for loved ones. Others were quiet, stunned. I scanned the streets for injured, stopped when people looked horrible and their family loaded them into our truck with words of thanks. Soon the truck was packed with bleeding and battered women, men and children. No one cried. Silvia was still praying at the top of her lungs. The old woman beside me was telling me her body was going cold, stiff, that she was dying. With my one-handed exam, I could gently reassure her that her heart was beating strong, her skin warm... that fear was responsible for the cold. She seemed to acknowledge my reassurance and would quiet momentarily only to need reassurance in the next 5 minutes.

When we finally got to the hospital through inching traffic and streets flooded with people, the scene was heart breaking. Tap-taps full of injured were parked outside of locked gates, ambulances were lined up and blaring. A woman came to our window and said that the hospital had collapsed and they were trying to get some of the injured doctors out, that they couldn't see any patients, there was no need to stop. "People are only coming here to die." Inside the car, the anxiety increased. Everyone started shouting out names of hospitals all over the city. I chose the closest one, but only found more of the same. It was decision time. I was almost out of gas and desperately needing to see Patrick and Solomon again. I told them all that for tonight I was going to take them back to their families since there was nothing to do right now. Slowly but surely I got people back. I found Patrick at the house and he helped me find homes for the rest of the riders. A little boy with a broken arm and his mother got out where there family was congregating outside their demolished home. I had nothing to do for him but to kiss his head and tell him to hold strong. Everywhere we went, people were crying, sobbing, searching for family. When we brought a family member to them, they'd scream with relief and then scream with anguish at the state they were in. Wailing. I found myself yelling out first-aid instructions to people hovering over people with broken extremities. We inched through traffic. The last rider in the car was a man with a broken leg, horribly broken and crushed arm who endured the bumpy ride without so much as a moan. We left him outside the television station with his family after searching for material to make a basic sling.
*rescue attempts

Driving to the guest house, Patrick told me about his walk there, preparing me for what we were soon to witness together. Parking our car back at home, we walked with Moulout the 10 blocks to the guest house, past street vendors who had been crushed to death by the walls they were sitting by, past houses reduced to rock piles, past mobs and mobs of people, past a traffic jam 5 blocks long outside of the Doctors Without Borders hospital that was still reeling after it had partially collapsed and its staff was all trying to get in from their own pockets of rubble. People were congregating on sidewalks and streets, finding chairs and blocking off pieces of road to make a safe place to gather. Hymns were rising up all around us by groups of people singing praises in the streets, calming themselves with their faith, relying on spiritual strength to hold them up. It did not cover up the wailing. The sirens. I passed children with towels wrapped around heads, arms, legs without so much as a bandaid. I felt worthless. Helpless. Overwhelmed.
*The main building at Walls International Guest House

We made it to the guest house to find the main central building had collapsed and now stood like a layer of pancakes less than a story tall. Our group had gotten back late and therefore hadn't sat down for dinner, their tardiness saving their lives. Six people had been caught in the guest house... 4 visitors, 2 staff. The two cooks had crawled out of the rubble with mild head injuries. One of the groups staying at the guest house had just arrived that morning, a medical group who had packed enough supplies for a week-long mobile clinic in the country, but most of their bags were in the collapsed building. They had seen the cooks, bandaged them and given them tylenol. By this time it was dark and not safe to go back out in the streets. The guest house had pulled mattresses into the parking lot and everyone huddled on them, nervously talking amongst each other, recounting what each had seen, experienced. One woman had lost her husband in the collapse. Another group lost their friend. How helpless they must have felt to be so close to their bodies and not be able to touch them, to see them, to help in anyway. Haunting. Patrick had found a little lost girl in the streets who couldn't find her family. He brought her to the guest house where our group wrapped their arms around her, tucked her in, and reassured her to sleep that her family would be waiting when the sun rose.

We stayed there for the remainder of the night, trying to send out text messages, trying to make calls to no avail. All systems were down. The aftershocks were so disconcerting... happening every 5 minutes or so, some stronger than others... Sleeping on the ground, you felt every shake, and looked up to see if anything was going to fall. Solomon entertained the huddled people with his youthful oblivion to what was going on. He was a blessing, others told me, keeping their minds on something happy and hopeful. He allowed people to laugh.

There was no sleeping that night. Patrick was planning with Veniel--the guest house manager--how and where to take the visiting groups when sun broke. Veniel was planning several trips up the mountain to take his family to safety and to buy food and water for the people in the guest house. He and Patrick worked all night on plans for the next day. Finally at 2am Veniel left with his family. Patrick, Solomon and I laid down only after Solomon fell into sleep with a pee-soaked diaper and an empty tummy. But he never fussed.

The sky was full of stars that night. We could see Orion, Andromeda, Scorpio, the dippers, Mars. I've never seen a sky like that in Port-au-Prince. Hymns rose up all around us from groups gathered: How Great Thou Art. When the music subsided, the wailing resumed, then the music rose up again, as if to add comfort for those enduring such pain, such loss. Everyone in the guest house camp was taking care of each other, sharing water, divvying up snacks, taking turns sleeping or sitting on mattresses, offering a back rub or support. The night guard kept watch all night with rifle by his side, not leaving his job despite not being able to get in touch with his family, not knowing. He kept us company as Patrick and I paced most of the evening with a restless, uncomfortable baby boy.

I can't describe feelings because they were muted. Numbed. I've never ever been so present in a moment, purposeful, moving and doing what needed to be done, avoiding thoughts of what the daylight would reveal, what would come next.

At 5:45am the sun rose. On phones that hadn't worked all night, we were briefly able to get through the Patrick's mom. Then my mom and dad to let them know we were ok. I've never heard their voices sound like they way they sounded... frantic, flooding, tearful relief, anxt, panic. For a moment I broke down. They'd been up all night with me from their perch miles away, worrying, fielding calls, searching for news, fearing the worse, completely helpless. We cried together over the phone. I wanted to pass some of the calm that had stayed with me through the day and through the night to them. I wanted to reassure them. I have had to trust God for that.

Patrick returned the little girl to her family who cried and hugged her first, then Patrick. A beautiful reunion to start the day.
Veniel started packing groups into his vans and trucks, transporting them to the embassy. We lent him our car to help in the efforts. Patrick and I walked back home to survey the damage and attempt to get diapers and formula for Solomon.
*Walking through our neighborhood

Daylight revealed the destruction from the day before. Camps of people filled the streets, blocking off some small streets completely. The injured lay next to their friends and families. The dead lay under sheets. Groups of men covered piles of rubble, shouting out for any survivors, digging through to find bodies, yelling out for a flashlight or a hammer. The hospital had cleared some of the backed up traffic, we watched people being brought in on stretchers, the dead lined up outside on the sidewalk covered in sheets. We came home to see the apartment as we left it. It had held through the aftershocks. We risked it. We scaled the rubble, entered the apartment and moved quickly gathering the most important, the most necessary. It was only then that I saw what the earthquake had done. Books off shelves, mirrors fallen and broken, closets emptied, furniture moved. We tidied up a bit, locked doors, packed other non-essential essentials in case we could come back, and left within 15 minutes time, not risking any more time than necessary in an unstable building. I grabbed a first aid kit.
*leaving the apartment after our retrieval run

We encountered Francois in the street outside our house. She had walked across the city to our house to make sure we were ok, to check on the group. She looked exhausted, overwhelmed, and numb. She reported most of her family was ok, but that CONASPEH had collapsed completely with the nursing students and some of the staff within. She gave names of some of the people she knew to be dead. Friends. Students. Coworkers. The janitor in which I had shared a meal. Her foster son had been caught in the collapse, but had survived. They could hear his voice, they'd been working all day and all night to free him. He was still alive, but she was loosing hope. She headed back on foot to her family after hugs and words of encouragement.
*A once 4 story building now pancaked into one small pile

On the way back to the guest house, we passed out ibuprofen and tylenol to those who looked like they needed it. Our car was back at the guest house and one last group remained, small enough for us to ferry them in our car. We packed them in and headed out for the day. They had lost a member of their team in the collapse, and told us about her with eyes brimming with tears and love in their words. They were able to find her body pinned in the rubble and pray for her beautiful spirit. They retrieved her backpack to return to her family. We left them at the Canadian embassy with tears and hugs. People we had never before met had bonded with us under a shared traumatic time. Patrick and I then drove to CONASPEH, surveying the enormity of the damage around us. Schools, businesses, homes leaning, caved in, pancaked down, reduced to rock.
*partial collapse

Pulling up the drive to CONASPEH, we met familiar faces along the way, warning us of what we'd see, praying for our strength. When we arrived, three bodies awaited us under sheets, stiff and lifeless. Many others had already been claimed and removed by family. The 6 story building that had been our office, our school, our clinic, our headquarters was nothing more than one story of rock and rubble. The basketball hoop lay cockeyed on the ground. A crane was working to create an opening. A crowd of 100 or more were gathered round. Reunions. Hugs. Brief tears in the arms of another. Volunteer rescuers--men with big hearts and a hard work ethic--were tirelessly digging through rock and sand, bringing water into the man they'd been working hours to free. His legs were pinned. They could touch him, but were scared to free him. Oh good, a doctor was here. He needs anesthesia. I had none. He needs pain meds. I had none. Everything I had that could help in some miniscule way was buried under six stories worth of concrete. Helplessness. Patrick and Solomon left with a student at the school to find a saw that could cut through rock. I stayed with the mob of people to survey, to remove rock, to give instructions on first aid, but mostly to witness. Other volunteers had found voices on top of the rubble... 2 of my students had survived and their cries had finally been heard. A new effort began to break through layers of concrete to find them. Men with hammers commenced to break and carry away the chunks of concrete. No one had eaten. No one had water. But all worked relentlessly.

While I stood and waited, people came up to me hoping for word of their daughters, their sisters, their friends. They showed me pictures of faces I knew well, faces I had just taught antepartum care to, faces who had worked with me in clinics, helped me the day before unload supplies onto shelves that would later be buried. I could only honestly tell them that I didn't know, that yes, I had seen them yesterday in class but I hadn't seen who had been taken to the hospital yesterday. I didn't know. Families left pictures of their loved one on the mountains of rock as prayers for their departed souls. It was then that I cried, seeing the faces of my students, the picture of my top student, the one who had aced all my tests, volunteered the most in my clinics, brought half of her community in for evaluation looking up at me from a still shot on that pile.

Men around me started to break down crying, "I have no force, its too much, I can't find my sister." Mother's bravely stood, cradling their daughter's ID hoping despite the hopeless pile of evidence before them. We hugged, we held hands, we held each other up.

A few bodies were found while I stood there... still dressed in their school uniforms. I barely recognized faces in death. Life makes us who we are in so many ways.

G was finally able to be freed. We hailed a tap-tap and paid the driver to carry him to the nearest hospital as fast as possible. When all was ready, the team drug G free, both of his legs crushed and mangled to the bone, his face in shock but aware. He responded to my voice, the mob surrounded him, gently carried him to the tap-tap. I made a tournaquet above the bleeding, knowing there wasn't much time. I sent two men with him, men who seemed to know a little about first aid and trauma. They would only return an hour later to tell me he had died in route. They left his body at the hospital for the family to retrieve. Hours spent pulling him out. I only hope his in final minutes he breathed fresh air and felt cared for. We tried to call Patrick and Francois, but phones were still down. Patrick and I drove to the Villier's house to deliver the news only to find they weren't home. Surely they were checking up on other family and friends, trying to do what they could somewhere.

We then went to the embassy to leave word that we were ok. The group from Tennessee was still there, and a stream of American citizens were coming in, some battered, some in good shape, all shell-shocked. We found a missionary friend there who had been trapped for 7 hours in her home, but freed suffering only scratches. She was able to report that our other missionary friends were safe and accounted for. The embassy was working to get people out of Haiti via the Dominican since all commercial airlines had stopped flying into Haiti. From the DR, people could continue home. We trust that over the next two days, our group will be back on US soil.

After leaving our names at the embassy, we returned to the guest house to get Veniel. On route we found Frenaud who needed a ride to the hospital to find his brother who was gravely injured when their house collapsed. He reported his dad and sister had been at CONASEH when the earthquake hit. They had had no word from them and suspected the worse. F looked frantic. His usually cheerful disposition turned somber.

By the time we returned to the guesthouse, it was nightfall. The staff who had worked all day to free bodies from the rubble filled all the vehicles up with gas. We stopped by our apartment again to pack our car with the items we'd removed from the apartment: canned food, a few changes of clothes, diapers, our computers and a hand-held solar charged inverter that could grant us electricity if needed, chargers, a few toiletries. We then caravanned back up the mountain to deposit a body at the embassy, pick up a few hitchhikers along the way, making our way to a safe place to sleep for the night. The streets were brimming with people, huddled together, too scared to get back into their homes or go under any roof. The huge supermarkets had tumbled to the ground with everyone in them, Tanks of UN troops were roaming the streets with guns poised daring people to make trouble. Despite the mobs of people in the streets, it felt empty somehow. No one was selling anything. The street markets were empty. Some folks were handing out or selling sodas and water, but the familiar hustle and bustle of street commerce was eerily and tragically quiet. No water vendors selling their sachets of water, no used clothing for sale or fresh produce. A few fritay vendors had their pots bubbling to help feed the hordes of people camping in the streets. We passed parks teeming with people, tent cities erected on soccer fields and parks. We wonder about people we know, people we haven't yet seen. We wonder about Silvia and her family, wonder if her family is ok, if they are able to sleep in their home or if they are, too, taking to the streets.

Last night we took refuge in a hotel in the mountain town of Kenskoff. We ate our first meal after 36 hours, drank fresh water, showered and slept. The basics never felt so luxurious. We are safe, we are together, and that is more than we can say for millions all around the country.

We still feel numb. There are too many emotions to process.

Today we established internet access and our world opened up to all of you who have been waiting, worrying, praying, listening, watching for any news. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to us to swim through inboxes full of messages of love and prayers, pour over facebook postings of hope and relief. We know how horrible NOT knowing is, we understand your own pacing, your suffering, your helplessness as you watch coverage and hear piece reports of friends, partners and family that you have been worrying about. It wasn't until reading such outpouring of love and support that the tears started to fall, letting go of a little of all that we experienced in the last 36 hours, tears of the overwhelming love that surrounds us.

We are the lucky ones. And tonight we are safe. We have met a pastor and his family who have offered to take us in for a while. Veniel will meet up with us tonight to return our car, and we plan to head to the city tomorrow to find the Villier's and plan our next moves from there.

So many have asked "what can we do?" To this I say, keep praying. Write your congressman, your senators advocating for emergency visas and refugee status for Haitians fleeing this crisis. Give money to relief organization or to Global Ministries for the crisis has only begun. The sea-ports were badly damaged and thus all the supplies shipped are having a hard time docking, the airport is struggling to receive planes because the island has no fuel. Food stores are quickly diminishing, clean water is getting harder to find, hospitals and medical services are overwhelmed with their own tumbled walls and overwhelmed staff. We already have word of mobs tearing through the remains of tumbled markets in search of food. We hear of help and emergency on the way, but as of yet, we have not seen it.

For those who want to come, I say wait. We have so much to do right now, simple things like finding a more permanent place to stay for a while, finding the Villier's, figuring out what step is next. We'll keep you informed as it all unfolds and as we are able the goings on and how you can help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your love and prayers. We love you and feel enormously, undeservedly blessed to have health, our families and such an incredible network of people willing to fund raise, write, call and e-mail their congressmen, pray and send help. It is this that gives us hope. People helping people, loving people. It is this that will deliver Haiti from ruins. It is this that gives us the calm, the strength, the will to keep going.
*we're okay

We love you.

67 comments:

  1. Wow, I cannot even imagine what you are going through! I'm so very glad all three of you are safe. My thoughts and prayers all with all of you in Haiti. Stay stong in the Lord. Lynn Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue to provide you strength to get through the coming days.
    We are so very lucky to still have you with us, safe.
    WE LOVE YOU and will continue to pray for all of you and for everyone in Haiti.
    Schaun, Krystal, Trevor, Michaela, Moriah and Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, Patrick and Solomon,
    thank you for your update and thanks to God for your safety.
    Katie, Jeff and Claire Goeke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe and I read this together with relief, grief, hope, and prayers. Thank you for taking time and energy to write. We cannot seem to stop thinking of you and Haiti, praying for you and Haiti, and figuring out how to help you and Haiti. We love you- Dawn & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. just want to say again we love you and are praying for you. thank you for taking the time to write about what is happening and how you are experiencing it. again, we are holding you close in our prayers.

    Anne and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see your faces and read your words...so thankful for your lives...continued strength to you as you regroup and plan your next moves. Love and hugs to each of you, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this. It is so good to hear from you both. Sending much love and many, many prayers for you and for Haiti. My co worker was supposed to arrive there today to translate for a mission trip. Her husbands family is safe, and she is hoping to come with a Peace Corps relief group. Will keep you posted. Hugs and strength-- Laura F ( from sixth ave in Denver).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was heartbreaking to read, and it is difficult to imagine how much more heartbreaking it is to experience it. Glad you guys are okay, and we'll be praying for you and everyone else on Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, as I have so often said in the past, your writing puts a face on the horror that Haiti is experiencing. I will be in contact with my state representatives as well as sending some cash. One cannot know the simple highs of life, without experiencing the lows. I think of you, Patrick, and Solomon daily and will be sending my blue body healing your way. Love, Kim Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I have been to Haiti on 2 mission trips with Karen Yount. I cannot imagine how you had the strength to write all of this after what you've gone through, but it is such a blessing to be able to see and hear about our loved ones through your words. Give Patrick, Francois and Veniel our love. All of our Haitian friends remain in our prayers. May God give you strength as you continue to serve Him by helping those in Haiti. Mike & Sandy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kim and Patrick, how we are praying for you and the people of Haiti. Be assured that the people of the Church everywhere are responding with compassion, ready to do whatever we can. Still we know that we are not there. We cannot see and experience what you are living in these hours and days. Thank you for the energy and time and willingness to write of your experience.

    May you know that in this Epiphany, God is revealed there in your very presence with the people -- even when you do not have tools and resources to do all that is so deperately needed. May God give you moments of rest and glimpses of hope. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Kim, for taking me into the streets with you and to the clumps of stunned people who only want reassurance that it'll all be okay soon. I'm glad I got to hear the hymns and the prayers. And I'm glad that YOU were there for the people who needed you at a special moment. God bless and keep you all safe in His most amazing grace! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you and your family is safe !!!! I read your amazing story.... Praying for all!!!! Be careful.... sending hugs and prayers!!!! God bless you !.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. God Bless you. Your strength, cool heads, and calming presence are gift to those around you. I give God thanks for your lives and your skills. My family and I are praying for your family, your friends, and all who surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kim, Patrick and Solomon, we are so happy that you are all okay, but so filled with grief for the many. It broke my heart to read your words, and yet I am so grateful for your heart felt sharing and pictures, CONASPEH, Walls Guest House, places I've been, and the one lone plastic chair sitting on top the once roof of the guest house...spoke volumes to the massive devastation. You know I want to be there with you and yet that is not possible, so we will do what we can from here, the church will respond, we will embody the love and compassion of Christ as best we can in this time of need. Your words and pictures are invitations, they are the leper in need of healing, they are the wedding banquet that has run out of wine, they are the feeding of the 5000 your words and pictures are invitations from God to see what God see's and to weep with Jesus and then resond in self-giving acts of love and compassion. May the God of grace, love and compassion hold you, heal you, and give you strength and wisdom in the hours, days, weeks and months to come.

    Rev. Kevin Olsen
    Zion UNited Church of Christ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing. Though we have never met, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came to you from Molly's blog. Thank you for sharing this. To enter in, even just this much, moves my heavy heart to be more fervent in prayer.
    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found your blog through Sarah Riester's link. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It helped me break through the numbness that came from the overwhelming images of suffering. I am so glad you are okay and will be able to continue helping in Jesus' name and ours. I will be sharing your blog with our Disciples Women's gathering tonight. And I sent the link to the whole congregation. You are in our prayers.

    Rev. Rebecca Littlejohn
    FCC-Anniston, Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gretchen and Ed HawleyJanuary 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM

    Dear Kim: Both of us were moved to tears as we read your incredible moment by moment account of your lives since the quake, as I'm sure will also be true for all of us at Sixth Avenue. Thanks for sharing this with us. The prayers rising up for our homes will be focussed on Sunday as we gather, as Dan has urged, to pray and give together. Gretchen and Ed

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow it was heartbreaking to read all that you and many other's have had to go through. My heart aches for all who were involved. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I am glad your little family was safe. Praying for you and all that wer affected by the earthquake. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot of faith in Christ and love for all the Haitian people. Everyone in Brazil are praying for the people of Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chris Koczot (ckoczot@gmail.com). Its so hard to describe what I am feeling for you three and for Haiti in general. I read this with tears, grief, frustration, anxiety, resolve. Im just so relieved that you are safe. I have so many praying for you, encouraging everyone I know to donate money and then pray some more. My specific prayer for you is that you will maintain the hope and strength and focus that you will need to continue to lend your amazing gifts in the aid of the people of Haiti. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Patrick and Kim,

    I am so grateful you are o.k. We are still waitingn to hear from other partners in haiti - every piece of news has been hopeful so far but there are still many more to find. Our prayers are with you.

    Tisha Brown

    ReplyDelete
  24. It took me three tries at reading what you are going through. May God give you strength to continue. I had heard at the Sr. Center that you were there. With your compassion and God's grace, you will help where you can. Love and Prayers' Ruth Rahe

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do not know you and found your blog by searching for bloggers in Haiti. I am adding a link to your blog in a special section on my own blog. I want you to know that I am praying for you and for all the people in Haiti.

    Dear God,

    While I cannot always understand the things that happen in our world, I pray that you will be with all the people in Haiti and those outside of the country who are waiting to hear from loved ones. I pray that all those who are hurting, grieving, in pain, suffering will feel your embrace and know that you are there beside them and that you weep with them. I pray that those who lost loved ones will feel comforted in knowing that you were there when their loved one lost their life and that you have taken them home and that they have no more pain or fear. I pray for strength for the rescue workers, the missionaries, the communities, all who are working countless, endless hours to bring stability back to this devastated place. I don't have much to offer but I do have the strength of my prayers and my faith in your love and comfort.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bless you. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers in the days and weeks that lie ahead.

    Sara, Joel, Will, Jack, and Allison Tubbs

    ReplyDelete
  27. God bless all involved. May The Lord provide shelter, and comfort to everyone touched by this. And special prayers for your family from ours in Texas.

    Mike and Dianna Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for your story, Kim. It gives us a thread of hope with your first-hand information. We left a little of our hearts in Haiti last summer; that's for sure. Jerry was ready to buy an old DC (??)airplane this noon and fly down to land on any field, because he wants to help out so badly. We are grateful for your safety, have mentally wrapped each of you in a unique blanket and have handed you over to God's protection.

    Caroline Cueno Bybee and Jerry Bybee

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just called my local church (Webster Groves Christian Church) to ask the best way to give. They directed me to the Global Ministries site, where I found your blog. Thank you for allowing me to connect to this tragedy in some small way. Bill H, Webster Groves, MO

    ReplyDelete
  30. Praying, praying, praying for you and all Haiti. Peace, strength, calm, hope, healing for you all.
    Carolyn in Eureka, IL

    ReplyDelete
  31. We have been praying for all of you every day.We are so sad to see the destruction and the pain that you all have been going through.Our church has been praying too.Many are lifting you up in your time of need.My heart is touvhed by it all.My husband and I have been there when we went on a cruise and it just touched us so.Just know that God is with you and loves you all.Evelynn in Fairbury Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just a note from a UCC member in Wyoming. I went to the UCC site to get some recent information. I found the link to your blog. I read it with tears streaming down my face. Somehow all of the news coverage has made me feel numb somehow. Your blog has made it personal and real. I thank you for that. We should not be allowed to feel numb in the wake of such horrible destruction. My prayers are with your family and the people of Haiti.

    Bobbie Harris
    1st Congregational Church, UCC
    Rock Springs, Wyoming

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kim, Patrick and Solomon,

    Thanks for the powerful account of your experiences of the Haitian earthquake. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. May God give you strength and wisdom as you face the coming days.

    Linda Hanson
    St. Paul's UCC
    Madrid, IA
    Former GM Missionary to Honduras

    ReplyDelete
  34. Like Diddy, I found you on the Global Ministries site. I'm a UCC pastor in Maine. I am praying for you and for the people of Haiti, and we will be praying for you at First Parish Congregational Church UCC in Yarmouth, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Pride....this is the emotion that has overwhelmed me while I read this post. Kim and Patrick...you guys are truly inspirational. We are VERY proud of you. Please stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my precious ones....Auntie Joy

    ReplyDelete
  37. You all are in my prayers. Judy Dilts

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very powerful narrative and writing. Bless your hearts, stay safe and know America is thinking of you and sending our thoughts to help you stay strong. Here is to the people of Haiti, I have some long lost Haitian riends from my time on Providenciales (225 miles north) and I'm hoping their friends and family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  39. God bless you and keep you and all the people of Haiti safe. May you gather strength from all of the prayers being prayed for all of you from all of us so far away.
    Michelle Anderson, Boulder, CO

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much for touching our lives with your writing. It is the closest I have felt trying to get news as a member of First Church. May God Bless you, give you all strength, courage, and peace in the days ahead. Your faith will hold you and many around you.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bless you!!! May you feel God's love deeply, wholely and unconditionally as you get through this and help others do the same. Thank you for this first hand account and direction on what we can do to help best. Your friends at Union Avenue CC in St. Louis are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So good to see all of you in the picture above. I'm glad you are safe:) Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I can't even imagine what it is like. Thanks for sharing your personal insight. Love your blog site...too bad it took this awful event for me to find it. Take Care of yourselves and may your strength continue. Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for writing. It is devastating to read. I can't imagine what you are going through.
    We are praying for you, your family, and everyone in Haiti. We pray that the peace of God, which passeth ALL understanding, be with you, through Christ Jesus!

    Brent, Christina, Kayla and Braden Kirkpatrick
    Belleville, KS

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nonnie (Nuhn) MorrisJanuary 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM

    I am glad to hear that you are all safe. We are all hoping and praying for the best.
    Nonnie (Nuhn) Morris

    ReplyDelete
  45. Came across your post looking for info on Haiti. Stayed at Walls Guest House in 2007 - seeing your pictures makes me realize how bad the rest of the city must look like. Wishing you all the strength you will need to cope with this disaster. Hoping that in the long run, this somehow will lead to a better future for Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh Kimmie, to remember you as a little girl and to know what an amazing woman you have become. I continue to pray for you and yours. I'll do what you have suggested, knowing it's miniscule in this enormous disaster so far away. Wrap your arms around yourself, squeeze tight, and know I am sending you a bear hug. With love and adoration, Amy Kleveland Crouse, RN

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you - Thank you - Thank you! For your updates, pictures, and for your strength and compassion. I feel like the world is reading your blog - at least everyone I've talked to in Denver the last couple days. =) Stay strong. You are so loved!
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  48. Learned of your blog in the KC Star this morning. Thank you for your posting of the details of the earthquake and what you have been through. I also loved reading your old blogs to learn about life in Haiti before this week---I am definitely praying for all of you and so happy that you are all OK---

    ReplyDelete
  49. Kim, Patrick and Solomon,
    When I awoke last Wednesday, Mark said that there had been a horrible earthquake in Haiti. I wasn't fully awake and then he said..."Kim and Patrick are there." I immediately emailed Jennifer and within 2 hours we got the news that you were trying to leave and were ok. We just want you to know that we think of you constantly and pray that all 3 of you will soon be able to come home together. We have contacted our Senators and Representative and encouraged our family and friends to do the same. We watch it on CNN constantly and grieve for the people of Haiti. Through this disaster, your strength and commitment have been amazing. God has given you such an enormous amount of talent and so much compassion. You, your lives are a tremendous blessing to us. May God continue to protect your family, We pray for the people of Haiti and for you and your families. We love you! Judy & Mark Haase

    ReplyDelete
  50. Kim, Patrick and Solomon,
    You and all of Haiti are in the prayers of my congregation here in Mt Sinai in New York. We are donating and getting hygiene kits ready for CSW. I pray that you continue to be a blessing to the Haitian people, that you will be safe and sound as you make your way. Thank you for all you are doing. Thank you for sharing your story, it is so important.
    Peace and Love, Rev Diane Samuels

    ReplyDelete
  51. Patrick, Kim, and Solomon,

    Thank you for sharing your story. You have been in our thoughts and prayers since we first heard about the earthquake. We were so relieved to have received word from Jane that you were ok. Your perseverance, strength, and willingness to help others has no doubt touched many lives in Haiti. We will continue to do as you suggested to help in any way that we can. Please know that many will continue to pray for you as well as for all of Haiti in the coming months.

    Heidi Snell-Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  52. Words can not express...
    In my thoughts and prayers I am holding you and those with whom you work and love...
    peace, clare

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Bentrott family, Just read your blog and makes it all so much more personal. We thank God you are safe and doing what you can to help so many others. We WILL contact our congress people and send money. May God keep you in his loving arms.
    Don & Phyllis Nissen, Maquoketa United Church of Christ

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks for sharing your story. You are blessed and a blessing to others, including many you may never meet. You will remain in my prayer.

    Bob Gross
    Lake Avenue UCC
    Elyria, OH

    ReplyDelete
  55. Dear Kim,

    I too learned of your work in Haiti through the article in the Kansas City Star this morning (and online at http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/1686834.html ).

    The article was intriguing, but it didn't hint as to how effectively you are able to communicate the widespread impact of the tragedy on such a personal level.

    I was so touched by the extraordinary depth of your vivid descriptions that I went through a few weeks of earlier, pre-earthquake blogs. I found the same gift operating there as well.

    I applaud you as a physician willing to serve the Lord in Haiti. I also want to express appreciation for the remarkable talent you have for creative description and intensely engrossing communication.

    I hope you will continue to post on your blog as often as possible what you are experiencing there in Haiti. It personalizes in a vital way what might otherwise come across as a vast sea of human suffering.

    We are tied in with Heart To Heart here in Kansas City, and my son David is on staff with them. HearttoHeart.org 's director Gary Morsch is over in Port-au-Prince right now helping distribute medical supplies.

    May God continue to bless and protect you both.

    Warmly,
    Rob Moritz, www.DramaticImpact.com
    RobMoritz@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Patrick,

    You once shared with me that mission work was what you and Kim wanted to do. I always believed that you would make a difference in the world. I am sure this is not exactly what you had in mind, but you and Kim being there are making a huge difference in so many ways. I hope that our prayers can help you, especially with Solomon, that beautiful son of yours.

    Please know that we are praying for you and all the people of Haiti,

    Robin Cutright
    Parker UCC, CO

    ReplyDelete
  57. God Bless you both for all of the wonderful things you have done and continue to do. Know that people all around the world are praying for you! We are anxious for your return back to the midwest! I pray for you to continue to find strength and give hope to others. Thank you for your beautiful words and insight of your journey! Please continue best you can.
    Michelle (Chelli) Hernandez
    Hendersonville, NC

    ReplyDelete
  58. from our island to yours come unending prayers . . . I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your story, so I may share it with our congregation . . . may God bless and keep you.
    Cindy Bauleke
    Lummi Island Congregational Church UCC

    ReplyDelete
  59. Kim: I cannot even imagine how frustrating it is to have skills that are so desperately needed and not so much as a band aid to be able to put them to use. BUT I want you to know that you ARE doing something of enormous value in letting us see the situation there through your eyes and your incredible ability to express it. We need this - an on-the-ground view of what's happening, unfiltered by the tv people's graphics packages and editorial decisions too often based on ratings or political advantage. You are giving us a glimpse of the authentic, and I so value it. Please, as you have time and a source of electrical power, keep it up. It matters. -- Linda Odell

    ReplyDelete
  60. Kim and Patrick,
    thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings....emotions at a time when most of us just don't even have the language to know where to begin. For those of us NOT in the thick of things it has been frustrating to watch slack-jawed and powerless from home when we'd much rather be 'in the field' doing our part. You have provided for us something tactile, almost palpable to help us understand how....REAL this event is. Godspeed to all of you.
    stephen j edgar

    ReplyDelete
  61. This is truly an amazing story. I can't imagine what it would be like, can't come close. If I were a person in need of a assistance I would be lucky to see your faces and hear your voices. You are both very strong.

    I was extremely glad to hear that you are all safe. I wish you well.

    The whole thing makes me wonder.

    Austin T. Snell

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your account is overwhelming. It seems you sat up that night very close to my daughter who is in the orphanage across the street from Walls. If you go back there can you check on Anaika staying with Marie France? Veniel knows who she is. Ask her to pull out Anaika's passport from July 08 and get her a visa and get out!! Any news would be awesome.
    Laura Barker Laurabark @ hotmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi Kim and Patrick, I have been so worried about you and Solomon. I made it to Memphis okay and the others on our mission team made it to Nashville. I will be speaking to my church and the media tomorrow about the needs of Haiti. You and the people of Haiti are in my prayers. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  64. Kim-
    My husband,Tom Russell,knows your mother, Kathy,and we were able to learn about your blog and experience through Facebook and the link your mother posted there for friends to read. I am a social worker,so my heart is breaking for all the people of Haiti.
    I admire Patrick and you so very much, for in Haiti, so much is asked of you right now, so much has been given, so much is understood by both of you, as you see FIRST HAND, the true and tragic human condition of those you are there to serve in God's name. Thank you, and God bless you for being there so willingly to minister to human despair.
    My husband and I have you in our prayers constantly. Until I read your blog,Kim, I was touched by what I had read and heard on tv and in the newspapers, but it WAS NOT PERSONAL. Your story made me cry...and I felt so small that I had complained yesterday that I didn't have two tylenol in my purse for a headache... God forgive me!!! Is there anyway that I can help you personally with anything that Patrick and you may need from the states???- Gail Russell at gailrussell@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  65. Kim and Patrick, Thank you for sharing your experience. Your words, while difficult to read, help me understand the devastation in a very personal way. I will be following your blog closely. Please know our congregation will be holding you and the people of Haiti in constant prayer!
    Kathy Dwyer
    St. John's United Church of Christ
    Columbus, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  66. Your story is just amazing. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I hope you guys are going OK and are getting stuff from all donations arriving...we hear that thousands of pounds of food are being sent but have not heard much about people getting the stuff...your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete